Monday, August 9, 2010

The Vision

For many years the thought of travel to far off places in my own boat was a vision of a lifestyle that seemed unattainable.  However, like any of life's ambitions, achievable when taken a piece at at time.  And so I read, and read some more.  As I moved from being unaware of what I did not know to being aware I refined my approach, defined my criteria and in general found My Way to achieve the vision.

The most important part of that vision was experiencing it with Sue.  It's fair to say I had my work cut out for me on that front.  Sue, an avid traveler, is more comfortable in structure on dry land and this vision was neither of those two things.  Understanding that Sue did not like the water and could not swim and you start to get a sense of where we started.  However, once again, some patience, a few charters, swimming lessons and a few additional revisions to the boat type and cruising grounds brought us together with a mutual vision for the possible.

So here we are in August 2010 ready to start off on a voyage south from Georgian Bay Canada with a goal to get all the way to the Bahamas with ports of call at all the major cities down the eastern seaboard.  We don't know what to expect along the way - but we are sure it will be like nothing we have ever done before - and that's really the main point.

Wish us luck!