Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fighting the boating bulge - Part I

It's not hard being health conscious, but boating presents its challenges for staying fit.  On longer waterway crossings, you may not log many steps in a day, so you need to plan some type of exercise.  Otherwise, you'll soon find it hard to fit through those narrow doorways and walkways.  Plus, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a fast food chain.  Combine the innate tendency to be sedentary with poor readily available diet choices and the occasional Corona/red wine/porto or two, and boom, chunky monkey is on board.  I know some of you are saying "right on... bring it!", but I hate shopping for clothes just that much that I'm not having it.

I know it's nerdy, but as I was planning for our trip, I made sure to bring two essential items - a step counter and a pair of good running shoes.  I didn't want to rely on alot of electronics in the event that we didn't have an external power hook-up - essential electrical systems (like starter motor and fridge) come before working out with Gillian from the "Biggest Loser" (they're really good DVDs, BTW).

The nice thing about marinas is that they tend to be downtown or near natural trails.  The Trent Severn was wonderful that way.  Orillia, Trenton and now Kingston have some nice waterside trails that made running and hiking quite enjoyable and special.  I bring the camera with me to capture some cool scenes along the way.  I'll happily take whatever tips from our semi-professional photographer followers - you know who are!

The step counter reminds me that I need to log about 10 000 steps a day (once again, nerd, I know!).  On our last leg of the TSW, we managed 14 locks in one day - you bet I logged those steps running fore and aft busing lines and fenders.

On days when we anchor out, I do some yoga - it's not hard to bring serenity into your life when you're surrounded by it.  I just have to mind the anchor when I jump into my downward facing dog pose!

Here are some shots from the trails:

I started my hike that morning with the Fenelon Falls garden across from where we moored for the night.  Two young men were already fishing from that same spot.



This bridge was overlooking the dam at FF - the dam was cool, but I really liked the flowers.
Okay ...so, here are the falls...we slept right next to them.  Surprisingly soothing.

This was a sign of hope... until then I was walking on a highway, in someone's front yard, then backyard, followed by a muddy foot trail no bigger than the width of a hobbit's foot, with signs assuring me that I was on this very same trail. 

Discovered a small footbridge along the way and this lovely meandering creek.  It was worth the wet runners and socks - the picture doesn't do it justice.


There is no shortage of photo ops in Kingston, but I really loved this one of the City Hall and Flora MacDonald Fountain in the park with the same name.  Kingston is absolutely gorgeous when you approach it from the water.  This site was transformed into an outdoor Bluesfest stage that night.  I woke up to bagpipes in the morning and attended a Blues concert in the evening.  Man, I love Canada!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely grand... nothin better than wakin up to the pipes. It can be arranged by the way when you're home... hee hee:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy, Sailors:
    Brad shared your BLOG spot with us, and we have really enjoyed your pix and commentary as you make your way on your adventure.

    We look forward to more of the same.

    In the meantime, we wish you smooth seas and fair winds.

    ReplyDelete