Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Boat is a List Part 2

Monday was a cloudy, rainy and cold day so we decided to wait for sun to cross Lake Ontario to Oswego.

That furnished me with the opportunity to do a few things around the boat!

The first priority was to replace a couple of my 8D batteries that packed it in.  We found a supplier and should pick them up this morning, a couple of quick connections and we should be good to go.  The tough part is carrying them in and out of the boat at ~150lbs each!

I readjusted my port side stuffing box and will have to add a couple more turns of packing material to provide some fine tuning.  The good news is there is no longer a leak on that side and with a bit of monitoring it should be fine.

I installed the new fresh water filtration system.  It's a two stage system with a 5 micron and 1 micron carbon filters to take out any little nastiest, and improve scent and clarity.  It should work the charm as soon as I get a piece of hose that is 1 foot longer than the one I brought!

Other than that all is in good order and we should be on our way by noon today.

Cheers!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Scott and Sue,
    What a great idea to blog your trip and the photos also help. Too bad about the thumb but thank you for sharing how bad it was.. ;-)
    Have fun.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a foot of hose in my hand. How about I send it by e-mail...

    OK OK... I'll never make Yuk Yuks.

    Just sharing your blog with Bob & Rachelle and Skip & Diane... all were askin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way... how about photos of the interior?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue & Scott,
    I noticed we have similar boats. I mean Like the one hanging off the Stern ; )
    Best of luck getting across the lake. It's a good thing you have GPS and 150 lbs of batteries. I'm enjoying your stories and please more photos, as my literary skills are visual.
    Heave Ho
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize it was a an electric boat.... 150 lbs per battery! Yikes! If the batteries are that big the diesels must be HUGE.
    BTW I had to look up stuffing box to confirm what it was. I hope its easy to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peter,

    Well since you asked - we have a pair of CAT 3208 Turbo Diesel rated at 302 HP each. They weigh in with 10.7L displacement at a healthy 2200lbs each! By no means the biggest CATS on the block, but they get the job done.

    In total we have 8 Batteries like that - helps to keep the bottom heavy and the top light!

    Cheers!!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete