Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Murphy is Always Near By!

I would love to say that day two South was as successful as day 1 - but.....  The day started well, sunshine light winds and calm water on Lake Simcoe.  We made it through the narrows and were out in open water happily cruising along towards the canals again with about 1.5 hours of steaming ahead of us.



Then I thought it would be a good idea to tidy up some wires that might be a tripping hazzard for the auto pilot.  Step one was to bundle and tie wrap the excess - all good.  I noted that when I made the bundle it was outside on the floor and if I moved it back a little I could hide the bundle in the console out of sight.  Now that IS a good idea!  All I have to do is cut off the tie wrap.......



Now I have to say it did NOTseem like a good idea about a split second later!  We calmly dressed the cut and returned to Orilia for a quick stop in at the Soldiers Memorial Hospital.



Aquick examination determined that the tendon was cut longitudinally and with one stitch we could ensure it would not tear further. Seven stitches to pull the skin together and I was on my way.





Now I have to say I was feeling fairly confident about my boat and line handeling skills, but I would rather not have landed the boat using only one hand.   The next few days are going to be a little more challenging but I'm sure I will get by OK.

Ironic that my desire for "perfection" (at least my version of it) results in such a clear example of the opposite - but that's just the way it goes some times.

Tomorrow is another day and we will try again - no knives while under way!

Let the adventure continue!

3 comments:

  1. Love the boat! First time seeing it. Absolutely totally enjoy reading about your journey. Sad news about the stitches today and injury but I know it won't slow you down.

    We just got back from camping, sadly, as living the the life of Tom Sawyer is so great.

    Did our 1st Neighbourhood Watch check on your house with a suspicious car parked in the driveway... and found it was your mom and dad... whom I recognized from the photos on the blog. Helped them out and gave them the scoop on the latest on your trip. Lovely folks.

    Keep the stories coming... and don't forget to tell us about the SEA MONSTERS... for our kid's sakes. I hear the "Cracken" hides in the shallows of Lake Simcoe...

    Take care, be safe, don't work Sue to death, have fun, and beware of pirates,

    Brad and Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, am detecting a decided philosophical developing ... hmmmm

    Tidy, as is perfection, is vastly overrated. Best go for "tidy-e-nuff". If you get a recurrence of the urge, lie down somewhere and I'm sure the feeling will pass.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Is there a doctor on board?" is not the sort of question you want to be asking on day two of a three week adventure. I did the same thing with a sharp end of an umbrella on day one of a six week trip around the world many years ago but don't have the gruesome pictures to remind me. That way the stories only get better with time!
    I tend to agree with Istvan's of tidy-e-nuff approach. Remember not to try and solve every nautical deficiency on the boat during the maiden voyage. You'll have nothing to do on the second trip. Boats are like cottages except the water generally comes in from the bottom rather than the top. There's also the small difference in how the septic systems work but I'm sure you know that by now.
    Reviresco looks great in the photos.

    I can't help but notice in the last photo there appears to be an odd "J" or "Hook" shaped metal appendage extending from your wrist. Is that a required accoutrement for all ship captains, or just the pirates? Let the adventure continue!

    ReplyDelete