Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Thank-you to all!

Hi everyone,

Thank-you for very much for your kind words of encouragement and anecdotes.  We're thoroughly enjoying reading all of our posts when we're lucky to get WiFi access.

In case you've been wondering, I too am having a great adventure. I'm doing and learning a ton. No, Scott hasn't worked me to death yet, but he is a task master, our captain.  I've managed to do more than simply look at my hands full of rope in desperation, when someone yelps "bow line".  So it's a start.

 It's been quite a challenge to change gears from work where every moment of your day is planned to the second.  For years, I've fought my Lebanese heritage of "no planning" or the infamous "Inshallah" - God willing affirmation to any suggested plans.  Well, I appear to be back to my roots now, as to do otherwise is shear madness.  You have to be ready to let go of a plan and have several options available - from Alpha to Zulu.  Can you tell I'm practicing my telecom alphabet?

As rivetting as the engine and mechanics blogging is for everyone (I know I can't get enough), I thought I would offer up my viewpoint of our journey on Reviresco - fighting the "boating bulge".  It's like the "freshman 15", but double the weight and twice the effort to lose it.  So more on that shortly.

I could share with you some boating beauty tips, but sadly that blog would be short enough to write on a grain of rice.  Vogue would not be interested in picking this piece up.  It goes something like this:
1. moisturizer with sunscreen
2. chapstick with sunscreen
3. pony tail so the hair doesn't get in your eyes running around following orders and busing lines
4. baseball cap to manage the inevitable flyaways that make me look like a modern day Medusa

And there you go!  Ready for the low seas

Many of you commented on having more pictures.  Thought I would share a few of my favorites.

Fenelon Falls in the morning as the mist was clearing - this is another boat moored near us for the night

En route to the Peterborough Lift Lock - notice the two boys on the bridge and the one in the water who just jumped off the bridge in 5 feet of water - BOYS!!!


Scott's pointing finger was still working pretty good, despite the bandaged thumb

The beginning of the Trent-Severn waterway, or in our case, the end.  The shot is much prettier at night I think.

Gorgeous full moonrise in Bygott Bay.  Despite a steady hand the boat still does move!


3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you've still got the sense of humour Sue. Hard to believe your trip's been delayed in part due to too much water.
    Meridith will appreciate the moisturizer and sunscreen advice as I am sure she feels the same. happy sailing on towards NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Meridith actually.

    Glad to hear things are going well. And Sue I am happy to see a note from you. If it's any comfort, I am worrying about how much structure you have in your day for you!

    Enjoy something new every day - but avoid Scott's idea of injuring himself for a new experience. Have you set him up on a physio program yet?

    Thinking of you both,
    Meridith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meridith,

    POD #8, AAT, Afebrile, Bowel and Bladder working well! (ha, ha!)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete