Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sue Braves THUNDERBALL!!!

As most of you who know me know, I DO NOT like to be IN the water.  I love boating in and WATCHING water, but swimming is not something that comes easily, naturally or voluntarily.  I've been learning to swim as an adult.  To say there have been ups and downs, would be an understatement.  An unprecedented panic attack previewing a man-made underwater cave a few years back was definitely a low point in my swimming career.

But when in The Bahamas, and particularly The Exumas, surpassed only by the Australian Great Barrier Reef as a diving and snorkelling destination, one must muster up courage and dive in.  Well, drop in gently wearing an oversized but secure Mustang lifejacket anyway.  Which is what I did recently, with Scott's ever patient and watchful guidance.

Once I stopped gasping every time I tried to breathe under water with my snorkel and mask, I actually relaxed and enjoyed the underwater scenery.  I'd practiced breathing under water with the snorkel at the cottage, but my brain just can't do it straight away without a bit of priming.

Thunderball, in particular, is a real coup for me.  Not only did I get to snorkel around the natural cave to see hoards of Sargent Majors (yellow and black zebra-like fish) and spectacular coral, but Scott guided me INTO the cave at low tide to see cave, the "Blue Eye" and the contents within.  More Sargent Majors and a gajillion other fish.  

Overall, a fantastic experience and I'm happy that Scott cajoled me (gently) into doing.  For those of you adults who don't know how to swim, LEARN.  Not only is this an essential life skill, but there's so much to see under the water.  It would be a shame to miss out on this natural beauty. 


1 comment:

  1. Well done Sue! Congratulations! Into a cave no less, now that's courage!

    Besos,
    Mony

    ReplyDelete