Friday, May 13, 2011

Guest Entry - Donna and Neil April 24, 2011


Our adventure began on April 24th. We arrived in Nassau in the early afternoon. We were scheduled to hop on a small 9 seater “puddle jumper”, when we boarded that plane I was fortunate to be invited up to the front and be Co-pilot!! It was really awesome flying in that seat, the view of all the different islands on our way to Staniel Cay was amazing.
When we arrived we were greeted by Scott and Sue! It was absolutely wonderful to see them!! I have never seen my brother looking like a surfer dude before, his hail is getting long and he has these wonderful blond streaks running threw it. Sue looked beautiful, beyond tanned and relaxed. After hugs all around sue was kind enough to go rent a golf cart to bring us to the boat. That was entertaining in its own right. The only cart they had left was one that had very little juice left in it and was deemed unreliable from the lady who rented it to Sue! On our way to the boat only one slight problem. There was one hill that the cart made it only half way up so Neil jumped off and pushed us the rest of the way. It was fun and a lot of laughs came out of it.
I must say when we arrived at the boat I was truly impressed! She is a beautiful boat! Can't say anymore she just is amazing!
We went on a tour of the island after we settled in. Saw all the sites, the Church, the Yacht club, the house that sells bread, There are some gorgeous flowering trees on the island, they never seem to stop blooming. The water is so gorgeous I can't describe the colours of the ocean. It is so vibrant. Where Reviresco is moored there are dozens of nurse sharks that swim all around the boat, there are huge stingrays as well. I got some really nice pictures of those.

Sharks and Rays!

Flower Shot with S&N Blocking them!

In the next few days we had the opportunity to go snorkeling at the “Grotto” It was just amazing, the fish and corals were beautiful, the cave was really cool to, the currant rushing through there as the tide was coming up was pretty strong so you had to continually swim or just get sucked out of the cave. Just outside of the cave there was a school of fish that we learned loves bread and french fries. They went nuts over it! Once we got back to the boat we were off to the pool for a nice relaxing dip and a rinse to get the salt water off. We also went to see the Thunderball, they say it is closed down but I think the locals go in and enjoy it at night, there is still beer in there and pool tables. The view of the islands and the ocean is wonderful from the back on the dock.

Thunderball View

On the Thunderball Dock

Scott and Neil decided that they were going to hunt and find there own conch. Scott really got into this idea, so he created his own tow bar and rigged it up to the dingy so we could drag him behind the boat while he had snorkle gear on so he can see the conch and grab one. Well you all can guess how that worked out.... No conch but a huge sunburn on Neil and I. To add to the failure of the conching the swells were a bit larger on the way back to the boat and Scotts dingy likes to spray water on you, well it was so bad that Sue who never dipped a toe in the ocean that day was as soaked from head to toe as the rest of us that had been in the water. Nothing like a 20 min salt water shower! Love that dingy! NOT!!!
We had a day trip to Black Point Cay. So first thing in the morning Scott got Revi started and off we went. It was a nice ride. I had to learn my sea legs pretty quick, but smooth sailing. We anchored out and used the dingy to get to the island lucky for us calm seas no water showers from the dingy.
We rented another golf cart to get around this island. It is the largest of the Exumas except for the Great Exuma island. We met a lovely lady Lilly who rented to us, she gave us a map to follow, that didn't work out, so we just winged it! Saw the school on the island, the one room police station, and a few of the locals that made straw hats, bags ect. I did buy a hat from the local shop, I desperately needed it I was getting tired of always trying to cover up with my sarong. I think I looked great! We also got a chance to go to the Atlantic side of the island, talk about amazing, it is so fantastic, the waves crashing in the spray comes up 8-10 feet! I was mesmerized by it.

Mesmerized!

There is so much that I want to say but I would take up the whole blog. I will add on one more thing SWIMMING PIGS!!!! I will ask Scott to put the video of that on because words can't describe it.




I am so happy to have had the chance to go to the Bahamas with my favourite guy to see Scott and Sue. It was a real Bahamian adventure. You got to see the real life of the people who live there, not your resort perspective. I wouldn't change one moment of our trip. Well maybe the dingy ride from hell...
I love you both very much, thank you for the hospitality and the memories!
Donna and Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment