Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gone Fish'n

When you enter the Bahamas you pay your entrance taxes and duties, $300 in our case.  This includes a fishing license.  Now not being the wiser I was not sure what kind of fishing I would be able to do, so I bought a couple of inexpensive casting rods and thought I was good to go.

It became clear fairly fast that everyone was using heavy duty reels and 50lbs line - my cheap rods would not stand the test, so I sat on the sidelines.  As we have been at Staniel Cay for a couple of weeks I would watch the sport fishers going out and returning with Mahi Mahi in quantity – I was envious.

Then along came “Buddy”.  Now most of you know me and are sure I’ve forgotten his name, however, that is his nickname and so finaly I have a name I can’t forget!  Now Buddy is crewing the boat next to us and his boss is back in Canada, and he would like to go fishing.  Alas he has a boat but no gas, I have cash and no boat – we were both in business!

Now I must pause for a moment and say that the seas were calm – noteworthy because if they are not running 6 feet I’m just not sure what to do.  Our first day was a millpond!  Not a gust of wind or a wave to be found.  Well if you can't cruise in comfort at least I was fishing in comfort.

You bait with Balyhoo run through with a line and hook with a squiddo on the end to attract attention.  We were out for about 30 minutes and we got three hits!  Then the action started.  As there were only two of us I had to try and take the video while running and dong a bunch of things at once so the video is a bit choppy, however, you get the idea.

I the end we were able to land 2 of the 3.  The third got caught up in our gaff and spit the hook right by the boat.  Damn shame watching him float away like that.  However, 2/3 ain’t bad as the saying goes.

Scott & Buddy Day 1


We proudly approached the cleaning station with our catch and shooed the Bahamanian’s away so that us Conchie Joes could clean some fish.  It was my first attempt, and it went off well.  The net result was 4 large fillets and about 12 pounds of fresh Mahi Mahi.

Cleaning Like an Old Pro!

One of Four Fillets

Day two went the exact opposite way.  We fished for 4 hours without a nibble and just as we turned to go home we got a hit!  The biggest Mahi Mahi on the dock for the week!  Not bad for a couple of rookies!



Now Thats a FISH!


We sliced it up and fried/grilled it for dinner a couple of nights in a row AND saved some in the freezer for Sue to enjoy when she gets back.


Check out the video!




1 comment:

  1. Thought I was watching "Jaws" for a minute. Big fish... and looked like it was a fantastic journey with buddy. Take care lad.

    ReplyDelete