Saturday, March 19, 2011

On To The Abacos

We set out from Old Bahama Bay for a quick stop over in Great Sale Cay (no you can't shop there).  Not much to see, just some low scrub and a little beach.  However it provides good holding and protection from North East winds and was a good location as a mid point to the Abacos.

Sunrise in Great Sale Cay

We continued on to Fox Town on the Little Abaco Island.  Once again, a quaint Bahamian town full of kind people.  We were poking our way into a few shops along the way to see if they had any fruit.  No fruit, but there was a small shop that had ice cream bars.  The shop owner was a lovely woman by the name of Ruth Wells who was putting some loaves of bread in the freezer to keep them fresh.  When we went to pay for the ice cream we realized we only had a $20 and she could not make change.

However, I would not be disappointed, she insisted I keep the bar saying "It says in the Bible it is better to give than receive - and that's true."  A lovely woman and I did not have the heart to argue with her or offend by putting it back, so I enjoyed it all the more.  On the way back to the boat I stopped in for a beer with some of the locals and asked that they give $5 to Ruth on my behalf.  One good turn deserves another!

We are off to Green Turtle Cay tomorrow.

At Anchor by Fox Town

Local Fishing Boat

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you guys for sure!! Great to see the "Bahama Poster Kids" and a dream realized... Great to be able to follow along with the narrative and pictures. I am sure you are enjoying it immensely. Be proud!

    Cheers, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going onto the map to see where you are. Man I'm missing the sun. I think I have to think of retiring down south. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Great Sale Cay Sunrise is now my wallpaper on the BB! Your journey sounds amazing. Be safe and enjoy every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete