Friday, March 25, 2011

Green Turtle Cay

I'm not sure how long I will have to be in the Bahamas before I will start to pronounce Cay - Key!  I'm not even sure why it's so hard since last I looked Cay is not even a word I've ever used before!  However, I'm not daunted and will just have to stay until I get it right!!

Green Turtle Club is a very nice little marina with very friendly people - and they all call me "Baby" as in "How you doi'n today Baby?", makes you feel young all over again!  They have a nice pool and beach and every night they make us a gourmet meal and deduct the cost from our dockage.  Man I love this place!

Lobster Thermadore and grilled Mahi Mahi

A Nice Shady Beach

79 Degree Pool to cool off in

Sue was determined to walk and as usual she death-marched me across the Cay to New Plymouth some 4 miles away in the hot sun.  I have to say that was a lot more fun than the cool 5 minute dingy ride right up to the main dock into the center of town ;-)  Thankfully, a nice Canadian couple stopped in their rental golf cart and offered us a ride just as I was about to succumb to heat stroke and exhaustion to save the day.  We rewarded them with cold drinks on the back deck.

It is a very nice little town with historic homes and quaint vistas.  New Plymouth was founded when Loyalists to Britain fled or were driven out during the US war of independence.

Loyalist Monument

Old Town Jail

Local Church

Welcoming Canadians to Plymouth
As the Flag in the picture implies, there are a lot of Canadians down here floating on a boat.  We have met couples from Montreal, Ottawa (x3), Vancouver and have seen many other boats as they pass on their way to and from various places.  It's a small world!

We will be hanging around the Green Turtle Club for a while longer and then work down through some of the  other Cays in the area on the way down to Marsh Harbour and Hope Town.  We had best enjoy the easy life for a while longer - because we will be swinging on the hook for a couple of weeks before Laurie comes in for a visit.

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Sue and Scott! Your guys are looking great. Spring is here in Ottawa -2C today, we are still skiing. Scott, I see you are becoming a "Contortionist", every time I look you are coming out of something, a closet, a toilet, what's next? We miss you guys! Hope and Heroes was another successful event. Rehab Centre does amazing work. Best. Dennis and Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... the stairs in the old town jail photo... we had some like that in Sudan... goin nowhere!

    I think Led Zeppelin must have visited before they penned "Stairway to Heaven"

    Love the photos. Good times buddy... good times!

    ReplyDelete