Friday, April 22, 2011

Eleuthera to Exuma

We are now in Staniel Cay.  I'm pleased to say that the ride down the Exumas, was "smooth" sailing.  The Exuma Bank is easy riding, although a little choppy in the wind.  Not that it matters to the boat, but I get salt spray all over and it drives me nuts.  I just spent $40 is water to wash her down - man Revi looks good when she's clean.

But I digress.

The water, sights and sounds of the Exumas are incredible.  The clarity of the water, the white sand beaches, the hot days and the cool nights are just fantastic.  Our first stop was in Highborne Cay.  We tried to stay in Allan's Cay, but the anchoring area was full and so we had to see the iguans on the beach at a distance.  Sue was very upset - NOT!  When we turned the corner to get to Highborne, we saw a whole field of yachts.  Some small sail boats, but also yachts ranging in size up to 150+feet.  These large yachts have a hard time finding a place to stay at marinas due to their size so they tend to stay at anchor a mile or so off the beaches where the water is a 20+ feet deep.  We on the other hand, snuggled right in close to shore and enjoyed a lovely sunset.

Having Fun On Private Beach
My Own Beach with Wading Pool!

Sharing My Beach With Sue!

Anchored Along With Us



When we got to Warderick Cay I took the opportunity to do a little snorkeling.  Its my first time at this in the Bahamas and I was anxious to try out my new camera under water - the main reason I got it.  My first few attempts are not all that good, but I will improve with time and subject matter.  In any event I have loaded my first attempt.




There were also Loyalist Ruins on Warderick Cay.  After Sue Death Marched me up a hill at 95 degrees in the blazing sun we found a pile of rocks with a little cement to mark out the remains of a house.  What these Loyalists were thinking of I can't for the life of me figure out.  Other than a fantastic view, this rocky perch had nothing.  No soil, no water, no trees, no fruit, no hunting.  Just a chance to fish every day to stay alive.  No surprise they had to quit the Cay and move on!  Ruins indeed - mostly of dreams and hope.

Death March Survivor - But Just!
Loyalist House Wall

As we are now in Staniel Cay, there are many other sights to see.  Sharks, Pigs, Grottos - I should have some more good material in the weeks to come.

In the mean time my sister Donna and Neil will be arriving in a couple of days and we are looking forward to a nice visit with them.

BTW, for those who are following the mechanical tribulations, the replacement alternator is working just fine and we have been using the generator a lot less now that we have turned off the back fridge and ice maker - it was a nice luxury, but costly at $6/US Gal.

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the video... but am waiting for the one we spoke of on Skype!!!!

    Also, nice photos, but especially the one of you both on the beach... but must have been something setting that one up, as I suspect there was no one to take it for you.

    Looks like paradise. The kids, Mir, and I really enjoyed chatting with you both, and look forward to seeing Sue next week.

    ReplyDelete