Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sandy Hook to Atlantic City

This was the big one - for all the marbles - a run down the coast on the Atlantic.  We had to cover 200KM at ~15km/h.  This promised to be one long day with the best of conditions.  We did NOThave the best conditions.

The forecast was for 4-6 foot waves, winds in the 15-20 knot range from the north west diminishing into the evening.  I guess there were some 4-6 foot waves out there, they were however hard to see in amongst the 10-15 foot waves.  After about 4 hours of running up and down some large waves we got into a rhythm and only called out for the "big waves" that we could not see over from the fly bridge - we call those 15-20 footers "bell ringers" as my bell would swing enough to sound riding up or down!  I would like to show you a picture or two, but frankly, we were rather busy and needed all hands to keep on track so no photographic evidence can be provided.

At one point I got quite comfortable and as Neil was at the helm thought I would take a little nap - not such a good idea.  When I woke up 15 minutes later I was a little disoriented and the sudden view was a bit more than I could adapt to quickly - so breakfast made a return visit and I was feeling much better!

So you might be thinking the worst was over and you would be wrong.   Two words - Barnegate Inlet!  The chart indicated that it was a challenging approach and should be approached with caution.  This did however, represent an opportunity to get in out of building waves and wind and run down the inside passage to Atlantic City (AC).  I was not quire sure if we should take a run at it and then I saw a small fishing boat leave the harbour followed by a sail boat.  Well if they can make the run - clearly it was OK. 

As we approached the break water we were sawing back and forth between building waves as the 15 footers from the North West were being piled up by the outgoing tide and wind - steep!  I was managing the waves "well" working the rudder to counteract the impact of each wave and then we crossed "The Bar".  As we did we were hit from the aft quarter by a very steep 20 foot breaking wave that picked up the boat and threw it over 45 degrees to port and then slew the back end out 180 degrees.  I don't recall precisely what I said, but it went something like - "Come on you son of a bitch - climb that fucking wave!"  I have to say I was very pleased to end up back on my bottom with the canvas up top when the wave had past.

The aftermath looked like this (after we did some clean up to get into the boat).


Kitchen Upside Down.

"Scott's Decorating in the Salon"

The Aft Deck
Despite it all - we got away with a few scratches and dings to the poorer and a great deal to the wiser.

But wait there's more!

We thought we would take a moment to settle ourselves and went into the harbour to refocus - and ran her aground on another shoal!  I pointed Neil down a "channel" and went below to hit the head.  Suddenly I heard the motors rev up followed by Neil calling out for me.  I dashed up and drove my head through the hatch leading to the fly - breaking the running strips and splitting my head.  So with blood running down my forehead and wearing a wet rag, we pulled her off the bar and got back into the channel and over to the fuel docks in the local fishing harbour.

We met a local half blind fisherman and his young son who asked if we had recently arrived - we confirmed we had.  He then followed up with a comment Neil and I are not likely to forget for a long time to come - "Came in over the bar did you?  Care to do that again?"  We do not!

You just can't have more fun in a day - or can you?

We still had 60KM to go to AC and so we set off again - slowly!  We saw some nice homes down the NJ shore line with easy calm water.




But you are not there until you arrive - and by the time we got to Little Egg Bay, 15KM from AC, it had gotten dark and the anchorage was too shallow so we had to go for it.  Narrow channels, pitch black with no moon, shallow waters and did I mention that my chart plotter was out of the mapped area so I was working off manual charts?  An hour and a half later we arrived in AC and dropped the hook for the evening!


Atlantic City at Night

Man what a day 6:00AM to 10:00PM and only day three at that!

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. OK.... WHAT A BOOK! Actually... I'm in the movie "The Perfect Storm". Waves crashing... "practically capsizing... yellin like a real sea Capt who won't let that dirty sea get the best of him... blood and guts... taking the big risks... doin it all with only a first mate and no one else. The only thing missing is the fire ships attack, and the boarding of the other vessels with sabre a la "Master and Commander". I'm tellin ya... Excitement in the EXTREME! Love it.

    ReplyDelete